UN nuke watchdog: Iran pressing on with uranium enrichment

[ad_1]

Iran has continued to increase its stockpile of highly enriched uranium that could be used to make nuclear weapons in contravention of a 2015 accord with world powers that was meant to contain Tehran’s nuclear program, the U.N. atomic watchdog said Tuesday.

The International Atomic Energy Agency also told member states in its confidential quarterly report that its verification monitoring activities have been “seriously undermined” since February by Iran’s refusal to let inspectors access IAEA monitoring equipment.

The Vienna-based agency told members that its confidence in properly assessing Iran’s activities — what it called the “continuity of knowledge” — was declining over time that would continue “unless the situation is immediately rectified by Iran.”

In this Monday, June 7, 2021 file photo, the flag of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) waves at the entrance of the Vienna International Center in Vienna.
(AP Photo/Lisa Leutner, file)

UN NUCLEAR WATCHDOG: IRAN PRODUCING MORE URANIUM METAL

The IAEA said certain monitoring surveillance equipment cannot be left for more than three months without being serviced. It was provided with access this month to four surveillance cameras installed at one site, but one of the cameras had been destroyed a second had been severely damaged, the agency said.

Its director-general, Rafael Mariano Grossi, said he was willing to travel to Iran to meet the recently elected government for talks on the issue.

The agency said it estimates Iran’s stock of uranium enriched to up to 60% fissile purity at 10 kilograms, an increase of 7.6 kilograms since May, while the country’s stockpile of uranium enriched to up to 20% fissile purity is now estimated at 84.3 kilograms, up from 62.8 kilograms three months earlier.

Iran’s total stock of uranium is estimated at 2,441.3 kilograms as of Aug. 30, down from 3241 kilograms on May 22, the agency said.

JOHN RATCLIFFE: ADVERSARIES ARE GOING TO USE BIDEN’S FAILURE AS PROPAGANDA

Tehran is only permitted to stockpile 202.8 kilograms of uranium under the nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA, which promises Iran economic incentives in exchange for limits on its nuclear program, is meant to prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear bomb.

The U.S. unilaterally pulled out of the nuclear deal in 2018 under then-President Donald Trump, but Britain, France, Germany, China Russia have tried to preserve the accord.

Tehran’s strategy of deliberately violating the deal is seen as an attempt to pressure Europe to give Iran incentives to offset the crippling American sanctions re-imposed after the U.S. pullout.

President Joe Biden has said he is open to rejoining the pact. The last round of talks in Vienna ended in June without a clear result.

In Tehran, Iranian news agencies quoted Iran’s envoy to the IAEA, Kazem Gharibabadi, as saying in Vienna that all Iran’s nuclear activities had been “carried out in the framework of Iran’s nuclear rights under nonproliferation treaty.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

He claimed the agency was under pressure by some members urged it to remain “independent, impartial professional.”

In a separate confidential report seen by The Associated Press, the agency expressed its deep concern at the presence of nuclear material at undeclared locations in Iran. “Even after some two years, the safeguards issues (…) in relation to the four locations in Iran not declared to the agency remain unresolved,” the report stated.

[ad_2]

Source link

Ex-Trump aide Jason Miller detained in Brazil following CPAC

[ad_1]

Jason Miller, a former adviser of President Donald Trump, was detained by authorities in Brazil as part of an investigation of “anti-democratic acts” in the South American country, according to local reports. 

Miller, founder of the conservative social media site Gettr, was reportedly held back by Federal Police on Tuesday morning as he was about to board a private plane for a flight back to the US at Brasília Airport.

The former Trump adviser was in Brazil to participate in the country’s Conservative Political Action Conference that ran from Sept. 3 to 4. While in the country, Miller reportedly met with President Jair Bolsonaro, Deputy Eduardo Bolsonaro (a son of the president) former Chancellor Ernesto Araujo.

Jason Miller, left, reportedly met with Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, right, while in Brazil for a CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) that ran from Sept. 3 to 4, along with Eduardo Bolsonaro (a son of the president), former chancellor Ernesto Araujo.
(Andrew Harnik/AP Photo/Bloomberg via Getty Images — Jason Alden/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

TRUMP ADVISER JASON MILLER LAUNCHES ‘CANCEL-FREE’ SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM

Miller put out a statement saying: “This Afternoon my traveling party was questioned for three hours at the airport in Brasilia, after having attended this weekend’s CPAC Brazil Conference. We were not accused of any wrongdoing, told only that they ‘wanted to talk.’ We informed them that we had nothing to say were eventually released to fly back to the United States. Our goal of sharing free speech around the world continues!” 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

According to Brazilian news site Metropoles, the detention was ordered by Minister Alexandre de Moraes, who is leading an investigation at the country’s Supreme Federal Court. 

READ MORE AT NYPOST.COM

The authorities reportedly wanted Miller to testify in their investigation 4874, which is probing anti-democratic acts in Brazil, the outlet reported.

[ad_2]

Source link

Twitter web test lets you remove followers without blocking them

[ad_1]

Twitter has launched its second feature test in one day, this one could be particularly helpful if you’ve ever been subjected to online abuse. A newly available web test lets you remove followers without blocking them. You’ll disappear from their feed without notifications that might spark harassment threats.

The social network hasn’t said if or when it might roll out follower removals. This is coming alongside a string of anti-harassment privacy-related projects, though, including a “Safety Mode” test an experimental option to automatically archive tweets. It might be just a matter of time before tighter follower control is available to a wider audience.

This test may be particularly useful in fighting abuse. Until now, Twitter users have typically had to either report offending accounts (hope Twitter takes action) or block them risk retaliation. This won’t prevent creeps from following your activity if you have a public account, but it could lessen the chance of immediate outrage.

All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.



[ad_2]

Source link

Apple loses automotive executive Doug Field to Ford

[ad_1]

Add another wrinkle to Apple’s oft-rumored efforts to build its own electric vehicle. On Tuesday, Ford . The former Tesla executive, known for his involvement in the , most recently held the position of vice president of special projects at Apple. It’s believed Field oversaw Project Titan.

In his new position of chief advanced technology embedded systems officer, Field will report to Ford CEO president Jim Farley. He will oversee Ford’s Embedded Software Hardware division, which will see him lead development on the automaker’s Blue Oval intelligence stack. It’s expected he will have a say in everything from vehicle controls to enterprise connectivity features driver assistance technology. For Field, this is something of a return to where everything started. He began his career at Ford back in 1987.

What’s unclear is what this means for Apple’s automotive ambitions. Bloomberg reporter Apple insider Mark Gurman says it’s bad news for the company. “This is probably the largest setback in a history filled with setbacks for Apple’s car project,” he tweeted. “As I wrote in January, there is no Apple Car launching anytime soon, not 2024, not 2025. Further out now, if ever.” Apple does have executives who could take over Field’s role. For instance, the company recently hired , a former BMW executive who led the development of the i3. All the same, it’s never a good sign when a high-profile executive leaves a company. 

All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

[ad_2]

Source link

LIC IPO could result in job losses, social spending, trade union warns

[ad_1]



The mega initial public offering of India’s biggest state-backed insurer could result in job losses impact the company’s social infrastructure spending plans, according to one of its largest trade unions.


Life Insurance Corp. “was formed to provide insurance to rural social economically backward people,” Rajesh Kumar, general secretary of All India LIC Employees’ Federation, said in an interview with Bloomberg TV on Tuesday. The company, which has been funding capital-intensive infrastructure projects such as roads, railways power for more than six decades, may instead focus on “profit-maximizing investments” after the IPO, Kumar said.





Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government is looking to dilute as much as 10% stake in LIC as part of a broader divestment target to help plug a widening budget gap. The sale, which is set to be the country’s biggest, could value the company at as much as $261 billion, surpassing Reliance Industries Ltd., according to analysts at Jefferies India.


The trade union, which represents about 4,000 of LIC’s roughly 114,000 employees, has written to the prime minister members of Parliament to protest about the listing is planning campaigns to raise concerns about the share sale, Kumar said.


“We believe that selling national asset is a willfully disruptive policy,” he said. “Recruitment will be minimal, outsourcing will happen job losses will take place.”


The government last month picked 10 banks for the sale that’s planned for between January March 2022.

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information commentary on developments that are of interest to you have wider political economic implications for the country the world. Your encouragement constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed updated with credible news, authoritative views incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better more relevant content. We believe in free, fair credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

[ad_2]

Source link

1 5 6 7 8 9 1,508